Monday, July 27, 2009

Don't play the racism card

Obama can only blame himself for this one. Usually his press conferences are so scripted that I can't believe the Gates/Crowley question caught him by surprise. Now I know he and the good professor are friends but he's the president! He needs to choose his words much more carefully. He, of all people, should get the facts before saying something so "stupid". Stick to the teleprompter sir.

I truly believe officer Crowley acted in good faith - and thank god. I know we haven't risen totally above racism in this country but we have made real progress. What will set us back as a nation and a people is using the racism card all the time.

If you suggest Michael Jackson was no role model, no saint, well you're a racist. Fire a black football coach because he has decimated your program (Go Irish!) and you're a racist university. Try to protect a home from burglary and happen to be a white cop questioning a black man and you're a racist.

Imagine if it was a real burglar entering Prof. Gates' home and the "white" cops did nothing. There sure would be a cry of racism then. From what I heard about the story I suggest that Prof. Gates was the racist! I'm glad the transcripts are coming out so the truth will be known.

One thing I liked about Obama was that I thought he would advance the race discussion in this country. I hoped he would silence the the victim peddlers like Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton. His early comments on this case are a set back for that. You just may get a clearer picture of who a man (or woman) is when they speak off the cuff.

Here's a big thank you to all police (and fire too) persons for willingly putting your lives on the line to protect us. Sgt. James Crowley is a true American hero and I hope Obama can manage to say that while they lift their beers this week.

Oh, and if there is ever a 911 call that someone is breaking into my home, please come quickly and strongly question whomever is standing in my foyer!

No comments:

Post a Comment