Thursday, June 25, 2009

She will not be upstaged

OK, Michael Jackson passed away today and, I assume, it came as quite a surprise. I know I haven't kept up with him since his fame turned him into more of a freak show than talent show. He was a true talent and entertainer and my thoughts go out to his family, friends, and fans.

What I found more depressing today was the passing of Farrah Fawcett. Yes, she was definitely my grade school (OK high school too) crush. She burst on the scene as a blond bombshell. I can still remember being at K-mart and my dad telling me that "I knew why" I wasn't allowed to have that famous poster. But I did get several others!!

Over her career Farrah rose above her sex symbol image and proved herself a talented actress in works such as The Burning Bed, Extremities, Small Sacrifices, and The Apostle. She received three Emmy nominations and accolades off Broadway. She succumbed to cancer today and dealt with that tragic disease with all the class and strength one could ever expect.

I don't put any entertainer on a pedestal but I know that the rabid media has already forgotten about Farrah and will swamp us with 24/7 coverage of Michael. Farrah conducted herself with grace and class and I just wanted to acknowledge that.

We also lost Ed McMahon this week. He was a man who entertained me more than Michael ever did.

OK, now back to the media circus . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment